Our Lady of Lourdes Queen of Peace, Rottingdean
and St. Patrick's, Woodingdean
Click here to open information on Catholic Primary Schools around Cardinal Newman School
The Parish is served by two schools.
Primary school children (ages 4-11) attend Our Lady of Lourdes School in Rottingdean.
Secondary school children (ages 11+) attend Cardinal Newman school in Hove.
Our Lady of Lourdes Primary School
Our Lady of Lourdes School was opened in 1969 to cater for children in the Rottingdean area who would otherwise have had to travel to Brighton to attend a Catholic school. At present it has just over two hundred mainly Catholic children aged between four and eleven years of age who come from Rottingdean, Woodingdean, Ovingdean, Saltdean, Telscombe Cliffs and Peacehaven. The School is located opposite the Green in Rottingdean, Brighton.
You can reach the Our Lady of Lourdes School website at
VACANCY - FOUNDATION GOVERNOR
What it means to be a Foundation Governor at Our Lady of Lourdes School.
What is a Foundation Governor?
• Foundation Governors are appointed by the Bishop
• They represent the Bishop’s education policy to the Governing Board
• They preserve and develop the Catholic ethos of the school
What do Foundation Governors do?
• They operate at strategic level, ensuring that the Catholic vision and character of the school is upheld
• They hold the Headteacher and leadership team to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils and the performance management of staff
• They oversee the financial performance of the school and set the school’s budget
• They manage the school’s admissions criteria
• They recruit senior leadership
What are the time commitments and responsibilities?
• 10-12 hours per month average
• Attend at least five of six Full Governing Board meetings a year and sit on at least one committee (Resources, Quality and Standards, Admissions or Pay)
• Come into school for at least one link visit per term and report back to the team
• Attend training courses provided by the Diocese, LA Governor Support services or online
Who can be a Foundation Governor?
• All Governors must be at least 18 years
• To be a Foundation Governor, you must be a practicing Catholic
• Good governing boards have a wide range of skills and experiences – we would particularly welcome applications from persons with an interest in finance
• We consider all applications, but the following groups are currently under-represented: young persons (between 18 and 40), male, or from a minority ethnic background
How do I apply?
• Contact the clerk to the governors [email protected] for an initial application form and to arrange a meeting with the chair.
The Green, Rottingdean BN2 7HA
Cardinal Newman Secondary School
Cardinal Newman Catholic is much larger than most other schools. It takes boys and girls from a wide area of Brighton and Hove. About three quarters are Roman Catholic, and the rest are from other Christian backgrounds. The school is a Voluntary Aided Comprehensive with an age range of 11 to 18 with approximately 1990 students.
Cardinal Newman School,
The Upper Drive,
East Sussex BN3 6ND
Telephone : 01273 558551
Fax : 01273 508778
You can reach the Cardinal Newman School website at